Whey is a truly amazing supplement, because not only has it been proven to help build muscle, improve physical performance, sharpen mind, enhance circulatory system function, but it also has potent anti-aging effects and improves motivation. Another incredible effect that Whey Protein has on the body is that it enhances the production of the body’s most powerful anti-oxidant — Glutathione. It also has the highest levels of branch-chain amino acids, which boosts the immune system functioning.
Inadequate protein consumption is linked to many conditions such as osteoporosis, weak immune system, fragile soft nails, thinning hair, wrinkled skin, lack of muscle tone, sagging chin, breast cancer, edema, urinary incontinence, hormonal dysfunction, heart problems, poor wound healing, increased aging, hypoglycemia, poor digestion and even depression due to lack of serotonin.
Whey protein is an excellent choice for individuals of all ages who value the role of diet in helping maintain and improve their health.
Adding Protein To Your Diet
1. Can help create macronutrient balance for weight management
2. Helps curb the appetite by slowing the transport of nutrients through the gut.
3. Builds lean muscle mass, increasing metabolism, strength and well-being.
Whey protein is a soluble, very easy to digest protein. Since it is in a powdered form, it is also very useful when you need a quick fix.
It is especially useful in the mornings. Your muscles will be craving for more food in the morning since most of the time you won’t have eaten since dinner. Having a protein shake prior to or alongside breakfast will satisfy your muscles quickly and allow them to continue to rebuild as well as dampening hunger drive later in the day.
Other Key Benefits
1. Boosts memory
2. Relieves depression and insomnia
3. Rebuilds cartilage in bone
4. Helps lower blood pressure
5. Promotes healthy insulin secretion
6. Reduces overall sensation of pain
7. Directly boosts the immune system because it contains immunoglobulins
Protein powders can either be cooked or mixed into a smoothie made from organic fruit, vegetables or yogurt. The powder can also be stirred into milk, juice or filtered water. Adding your own frozen or fresh berries to blended meal replacement shakes adds variety and phytonutrients. Choose a protein powder that is low in sugar and doesn’t contain artificial sweeteners.
The importance of protein for optimal health cannot be overstated. Practically everyone an benefit in some way from whey protein supplementation.
Peltier, P. (2013), Quirk : Connecting Lethbridge. The Whey to Fight Fatigue. p 20.
Image sources : http://halliefreedman.com
- Protein shakes aren’t just for body-builders (metro.co.uk)
- Whey Protein – The Known And Unknown Benefits (getbodybuildingsupplements.wordpress.com)